Informed Pragmatic Counsel
Susan D. Rector
Trusted advisor providing creative, practical solutions
Susan Rector is a partner who represents smart, creative people in business transactions and in all aspects of intellectual property ownership and protection. She assists start-up and established businesses to commercialize technology and conduct business online. Her favorite projects are those focus on crafting effective legal strategies for emerging technology or IP issues. She learns her client's business and adds value by delivering legal services that advance the client's business objectives.
In her 30+ year career, she has prosecuted more than 975 applications with the U.S. Trademark Office and routinely advises clients on how to choose, protect and register their marks and enhance their brands. She has worked extensively with software developers and users to negotiate and document information technology transactions. She has particularly enjoyed the unique legal issues encountered in working with those in the creative fields, including ad agencies, publishers, production companies, graphic artists, photographers, fine artists and design professionals.
Her experience includes a wide variety of business transactions, from business formation, restructurings and mergers and acquisitions to advising institutional investors making equity investments or investing in venture capital funds. She advises companies raising debt or equity through the private sale of securities.
She also provides ongoing advice and counsel to family and privately-held businesses and nonprofit organizations. Over the years she has represented clients in financial services, insurance, health care, the creative arts, consumer goods, manufacturing, IT, hospitality and tourism, media, social service agencies and government entities.
Susan is recognized for her leadership and service as an active participant in the nonprofit community and with organizations of women business owners. She rappelled down the PNC building to raise money for Big Brothers Big Sisters.
She chairs the board of publicly-traded Peoples Bancorp and its bank subsidiary Peoples Bank based in Marietta, Ohio.
Residing in German Village with her husband Neil, Susan's interests include gardening on a postage stamp-size urban lot, Victorian jewelry, cooking and most importantly eating.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- J.D. – 1984
- Wake Forest University, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- B.A. – 1981
- Honors: magna cum laude with honors in economics
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Ohio, 1984
Current Board Positions
- Peoples Bancorp Inc. and Peoples Bank, Chair of the Board
- Columbus College of Art & Design
- Rev1 Ventures
- Columbus Zoo & Aquarium, Past President
Professional and Business Associations
- International Trademark Association
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law and Business Law Sections
- American Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Columbus Bar Foundation, Past President, Past Board, Fellow
- Women Corporate Directors, Co-Chair Ohio Chapter
- International Women’s Forum
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Intellectual Property
- The Best Lawyers in America, Intellectual Property Law, Corporate Law
- The Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Trademark Law
- Harry S. Truman Scholar
- YWCA, Woman of Achievement
- Leadership Columbus, Hall of Fame
- Columbus Zoo & Aquarium, Board Leadership Award
- Robert S. Crane, Jr. Young Philanthropist Award
- Columbus Bar Association Community Service Award
- Forty Under 40, Business First